28 Cans of Red Bull Energy Drink daily Can Make You Blind
A jobless mom who weighs 26-stone is going blind after taking 28 cans of Red Bull a day. 26-year-old Lena Lupari, who lives in Newtownabbey in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, has added on so much weight drinking seven litres a day that her brain has swollen.
Lena who consumed over 3,000 calories from the drink every day, was oblivious of the damages she was doing until she fainted in June.
26-year-old Lena Lupari, consumes over 3,000 calories from drinking 28 cans of Red Bull daily
Doctors found she had developed a condition called Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), which they said was because she was obese.
Ms Lupari, who was spending around £450 of her £1,800 monthly hand-outs on the Red Bull energy drink, says she was addicted.
‘I used to drink 28 cans of Red Bull in a day and I’d only have a meal at night but it would usually be something fast-food like a takeaway or a packet of pasta,’ she said.
‘I’ve got three young children, one with special needs, and didn’t have time to make anything.
‘I’d been suffering from migraines and headaches for about five years but I just ignored them and took painkillers.
‘Then my vision went and I couldn’t even lift my head off the bed and I ended up in hospital for six days.’
Medics say she needs to shed seven stone in order to keep the symptoms at bay and as she was hospitalised on June 18, she has totally cut out Red Bull from her diet and lost two stone.
Ms Lupari is now seeking help of NHS to lose the extra five stone – or the 30% of her bodyweight – that will avoid the need for medical treatment.
‘I don’t want a gastric band or surgery but I think they should offer help for someone with this and to motivate them – something like a boot camp,’ she said.
‘Losing the weight doesn’t mean it will go away forever but it means I won’t need surgery.’
Intracranial hypertension (IH) is a condition characterized by abnormally high pressure inside the skull, which may occur all of a sudden or build-up over time and is quite rare.
Idiopathic IH means there is no apparent cause for the IH but it is most often noticed in overweight women in their twenties and has been associated with particular medications including the contraceptive pill.
Some glaring symptoms include severe throbbing headaches and changes in vision due to swollen optic nerves.
A 250ml can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, which can cause a sudden rise in the heart rate. So, patients with high blood pressure or coronary heart disease and hypertension are recommended to stay away from it.
Furthermore, Red Bull contains taurine, a building block of protein commonly found in meat and dairy products, which is regarded as beneficial in small doses.
Austrian Dieterich Mateschitz, 55, the inventor of Red Bull, stumbled upon a health tonic in Bangkok and launched his version in 1987. The drink was claimed to revitalize the mind and body, boost endurance, improve reaction and concentration and help get rid of toxins from the body.
A 250ml can of Red Bull have 80mg of caffeine and the equivalent of seven teaspoons of sugar – Ms Lupari was consuming seven litres of it a day at a cost of £6,000 a year
She fainted in June and was diagnosed with Idiopathic intracranial hypertension because of her obesity
IT CLAIMS TO GIVE YOU ‘WINGS’ BUT CAN DRINKING TOO MUCH RED BULL REALLY CAUSE BLINDNESS?
A can of Red Bull have 80mg of caffeine, which is around the same as a cup of coffee.
However research has discovered that consuming over three cups of coffee a day can raise the risk of vision loss and blindness.
As per the study, published in the journal Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, taking even small amounts of the drink raise the risk of developing the devastating eye condition glaucoma.
Glaucoma occurs when the drainage tubes inside the eye become a little blocked, preventing eye fluid from draining properly leading to build-up of pressure.
This can result in damage to the optic nerve, which connects the eye to the brain, and the nerve fibres from the retina (the light-sensitive nerve tissue that lines the back of the eye).
According to researchers, from the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, the compounds found in coffee may cause a surge in pressure within the eyeball, leading to vision-destroying condition called exfoliation glaucoma.
Red Bull itself recommends on its website not to have more than 400mg – the equivalent to five 250ml cans – in a day to keep away from the potential adverse effects of caffeine.