However, every vitamin is essential for a body to be healthy; vitamin D has attained a special place in research and day-to-day life. It is also famous by the name of ‘sunshine vitamin’. Without wasting much of your time, I would straightaway jump to the importance of vitamin D in our life. I would discuss the causes of vitamin D deficiency, the consequences of vitamin D deficiency, and how we can prevent the deficiency of this essential vitamin.
Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency
• Less (or absolutely no) exposure to sunlight
• Excessive use of sunscreens and make-up
• Poor intake of food that is rich in vitamin D
• Spending most of the time indoors
• Illness where one gets bedridden
Consequences of Vitamin D Deficiency
• At risk for osteoporosis, osteomalacia, and other bone-related diseases
• Increased risk of fractures
• Poor absorption of calcium
• Uncontrolled weight gain
• Poor teeth health
• Weaker immunity
• At risk for diabetes because of poor insulin secretion
How to Prevent Vitamin D Deficiency
If you are deficient in vitamin D, do not straightway jump to supplements. Our daily requirement for vitamin D stands are 600-1000 international units, which can be had from natural foods. Following are the steps you can take to prevent vitamin D deficiency.
• Consume more of milk and milk products.
• Consume fishes like salmon, tune, and sardines.
• Orange juice, oils, and soy milk are rich sources of vitamin D.
• Expose yourself to sunlight for at least 15-20 minutes per day.
• Consume supplements only under supervision of your physician.
I hope you know the importance of vitamin D in your life now! Enjoy sunlight, stay healthy!