Body pores help eliminate waste elements including dead skin cells from the body — in turn keep our body clean and free of diseases. Sometimes, due to build-up of dirt or some other things like makeup residue pollution, leads to clogged pores. This in turn triggers infections such as pimples, acne and blackheads. Check out some home remedies to get rid of clogged pores:
Steaming opens up the pores in a mild way, thus helps remove all impurities.
- Hot water- 1 bowl
- Clean your face by wiping off any make up that may be on it. Splash lots of water over your face to get rid of any dirt or make up residue.
- Take the bowl or basin with hot water and place it on an even place like a table with comfortable height.
- Sit down and lean over the bowl covering your head with towel. The steam coming out of the hot water should be directed towards your face and the towel should prevent the steam from escaping.
- Take the steam on your face for about 5-10 minutes, giving breaks in between whenever you feel it’s getting too hot to tolerate for your skin.
- Once you are done with steaming, pat your face dry and relax for a couple of seconds.
- Apply toner if your skin is oily. You may also use witch hazel. Those with dry skin can directly moisturize without using any toner.
- Now moisturize your face.
- You may always use few drops of any essential oil to make steaming some more effective. Tea tree oil is a great option but you can use any other oil to get the sense of relaxation.
Precaution: Over steaming is a strict no-no. It makes the skin dry.
Exfoliating is a great procedure which helps throw-away the impurities and dry skin cells. Dry brushing with a dry facial brush is an old and tested way of exfoliating. However, use a facial brush which have soft bristles made with natural fibers.
- Facial brush
- Clean your face using make up remover and then wash it.
- Pat dry your face properly. Your face as well as the brush should be completely dry and this is the essential requirement for dry brushing.
- Now hold the facial brush and gently brush in circular motions.
- Focus more on such facial areas where the skin is more dry.
- Exercise caution when brushing around eyes because this is very thin skin and you need to be extra careful while brushing here. Become some more gentler when brushing these areas.
- After brushing, wash your face with cool water.
- Moisturize your face finally.
Homemade scrubs are ideal for your sensitive facial skin. Sugar is the safest scrubbing ingredient and one of best natural exfoliating agents.
Sugar Scrub Recipe for Clogged Pores
- Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice- from 1/2 a lemon
- Crush sugar to get its powder.
- Add lemon juice to the powdered sugar.
- Mix enough water to get a thick paste.
- Apply this sugar paste on your face or wherever you have clogged pores on skin.
- Massage gently in circular motion for about 5 minutes. This exfoliates skin.
- Wash off with cool water.
- Moisturize your skin.
Fuller’s Earth Mask
Fuller’s earth has excellent oil soaking properties – I recommend Fuller’s earth mask for those who have oily skin. It helps open up the pores and also makes skin smooth and glowing.
Fuller’s Earth Recipe for Clogged Pores
- Fuller’s earth- 1-2 tsp (or more)
- Rose water- enough to make paste
- Mix fuller’s earth and rosewater to make paste
- Clean your face and apply this mask on it.
- Leave it to dry.
- Once it dries off, wash it off with water.
- Do this once a week.
Egg white packs skin tightening properties in turn helps keep your pores in check. It also holds excellent skin-toning properties. I recommend it to those who have an acne prone skin.
- Egg white- from 1-2 eggs
- Honey (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Egg yolk (optional)- 1-2
- Clean your face.
- Now take some egg white and apply this to your face. If you like, you can add honey to this.
- Let it dry. Once dried, wash off the mask with water.
- Pat dry.
- Now this is an additional step that you may or may not follow. Whip the egg yolks and apply this to your face for further tightening and providing whole nourishment to your skin.
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
- Pat dry and apply moisturizer.
- Do this once a week.
Parsley helps balance excess sebum secretion, thus is specially recommended to those who have a oily skin, that bring on clogged pores too.
- Parsley- few sprigs
- Boiling hot water- 1 bowl
- Wash cloth
- Wash and clean the parsley properly.
- Soak it in the hot water.
- Let it be there and allow the water to cool down completely.
- When the parsley soaked water cools down, dip the washcloth in it.
- Take it and wring out the excess water.
- Apply this cloth to your face for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this daily.
Baking soda is an awesome deep pore cleanser that gently exfoliates and exterminates clogged pores.
Baking Soda Exfoliate Recipe
- Baking soda- 2 tsp
- Mix enough water with baking soda to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this to your skin and gently massage with it in small circular strokes.
- Then let it sit on your skin for few minutes.
- Wash off with water and pat dry and then moisturize well.
- Do this once a week.
Lemon juice is a natural astringent that help tighten pores and keeps skin clean. It is an ideal remedy for blackheads and clogged pores.
- Cut a lemon in half. Rub one of the lemon halves over the affected skin. Now leave it there to sit for about 5 minutes. Wash off your face with lukewarm water.
- Pour some lemon juice onto a cotton ball. Wipe your face or the affected skin with this and then gently massage the area in circular motion.
Bentonite Clay Mask
Clay helps pull out the toxins from the skin and in turn unclogs the pores. Aside from fuller’s earth, bentonite clay is also very effective for clogged pores. A volcanic ash it acts like a sponge when you apply this to your skin.
- Bentonite clay- 1 tbsp
- water- 1 tbsp
- Oatmeal- 1 tbsp
- Combine the bentonite clay, oatmeal and water to make a paste.
- Apply this clay mask to your face or affected skin.
- Let it sit there for about 10 -15 minutes or till it gets completely dry.
- Wash off with water and pat dry.
- Moisturize your skin well.
- Do this once a week to keep your clogged pores open.
Honey is a great remedy for acne because it holds natural antibacterial properties. But, it also helps clear your clogged pores!
- Just use raw honey massage your skin gently and leave it to sit there for some time. Then wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat 2-3 times a week to get rid of clogged pores.
- Add 1-2 tsp of cinnamon powder to about 3 tablespoons of honey. Apply this honey mask on your skin and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat 1-2 times a week to keep your pores unclogged.
- Make an exfoliating scrub by mixing two tablespoons of honey with 1 tbsp of baking soda. Apply this to your skin and rub gently. Wait for 10-15 minutes before you wash off the mask. Repeat 1-2 times a week.
- Make a honey mask using 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 tsp of olive or jojoba oil and 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Mix them well and apply to your face. Leave for 15-20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Do this once a week.
Jojoba oils is made up of wax esters and fatty acids and that’s why it closely resembles human sebum. Jojoba oil mingles with hardened sebum plug and dissolves it to unclog pores.
How to Apply
Simply apply some of this oil to your affected skin daily. That’s it!
Hemp Seed Oil
Hemp seed oil is a natural cleanser and moisturizer. This oil is even safe to use on acne prone skin and never clogs your skin pores. It in fact helps balance excess sebum produced by your sebaceous gland thus helping you exterminate clogged pores.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Take a good amount of hemp seed oil onto your palm.
- Apply this to your face.
- Gently rub the oil into your skin for just a minute.
- Now wash off with lukewarm water. All the oil will not go off though and that’s all right.
- Pat your face with a towel. It will take off most of the oil that has been left there.
- However, if you feel too dry after doing this, apply a little hemp seed oil again on your face.
- This oil will be soon absorbed by your skin to leave your skin hydrated and soft.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.